Wastewater Operator / Technician
Employment Type: Full Time
Experience: Lab experience required
Job Description & Requirements
Basic Function: Growing industrial biotech company is seeking a wastewater technician to join the company’s field support team. Candidate will perform a variety of field operations tasks relating to Cambrian’s innovative EcoVolt wastewater treatment systems. Candidates must have experience in field level troubleshooting, possess strong communication skills, and demonstrate the ability to collaborate in team environment to resolve customer affecting technical issues in a timely fashion in order to maintain maximum customer satisfaction.
Candidate will be responsible for the coordination and successful completion of system maintenance activities, in addition to providing first level field maintenance and repair on installed systems. Candidate will analyze samples to measure system performance and operating efficiency. An understanding of anaerobic digestion or related wastewater treatment systems is a plus. Ideal candidate will have a passion for sustainability and the environment, an interest in cutting-edge technology, thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial setting, and be self-motivated.
Position is located in Pasadena, CA. Candidates must reside in the Pasadenaa area; relocation will not be provided. Moderate travel will be required, including trips to Cambrian’s headquarters in Watertown, MA. Eligible candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to HR@CambrianInnovation.com.
- Perform and participate in a variety of safety related duties and activities; follow all safety standard operating procedures when performing work; maintain awareness of and reports/corrects any trip hazards, spills, and unsafe equipment; properly handle, store, and label various chemicals; maintain and inspect all personal protective equipment and restock as necessary; maintain and update MSDS catalog; maintain proper facility lighting; perform proper lock-out/tag-out procedures; secure facility perimeter and ensure buildings and vehicles are secure.
- Perform the full range of duties related to plant operations; operate a variety of facilities, systems, equipment, pumps, and valves; learn to operate and maintain new systems and equipment as necessary.
- Perform a variety of equipment maintenance duties; inspect, remove, clean, lubricate, backwash, repair, maintain, and reinstall equipment related to a variety of wastewater treatment plant facilities, systems, drip traps, scales, tanks, pumps, valves, and piping systems; clean and calibrate meters and probes; perform general housekeeping of all areas associated with assigned facilities.
- Investigate and acknowledge alarms throughout the wastewater treatment facility; monitor, poll, and respond to system alarms; provide support, security, and communication to Cambrian personnel when responding to alarms.
- Perform a variety of process control related duties; collect and analyze samples from various plant processes; operate and calibrate automatic samplers; perform mathematical calculations including those related to flows, areas, volume, weight, force, pressure, chemical dosage, and those related to various tests and analysis; evaluate laboratory testing results and calculations and implement results in operational control; document operational data.
- Perform a variety of hardware and equipment installations; install pump stations, valves, instrumentations, and filtration systems; follow simple electrical and process diagrams.
- Provide timely, accurate, and unambiguous updates to Senior Management
- Maintain work areas in a clean and organized manner. Appropriate customer facing dress required.
- Develop and follow standard operating procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Operations, services, activities, and terminology of a wastewater treatment program including wastewater treatment plant processes and controls.
- Principles, practices, chemicals, and operating procedures related to the operation and maintenance of a wastewater treatment plant.
- Materials, tools, equipment, and methods used in the general construction, operation, maintenance, and repair of wastewater treatment plant facilities, systems, and equipment.
- Operating principles of plant equipment including large pumps, valves, and motors.
- Methods and techniques of reading and interpreting gauges, recording devices, and related monitoring systems.
- Maintenance and repair principles and practices including preventative maintenance procedures.
- Emergency maintenance and repair procedures related to wastewater treatment facilities.
- Methods and techniques of conducting tests and procedures related to wastewater treatment analysis.
- Basic principles of microbiology.
- Mathematical calculations used in wastewater treatment operations including algebraic calculations.
- Hydraulic principles.
- Operational and safety regulations pertaining to wastewater treatment plant operations.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety precautions.
- Principles and procedures used in the proper handling of chemicals.
- Basic electrical principles.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- Office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications.
- Principles and practices of record keeping.
- Operate, monitor, and maintain a variety of wastewater treatment plant equipment, facilities, and systems.
- Perform inspections and preventive maintenance of treatment plant facilities and equipment.
- Read and interpret gauges, meters, and other instrument readings and take effective course of action.
- Diagnose operational problems and perform effective maintenance on equipment.
- Perform mechanical repairs.
- Monitor and adjust plant processes.
- Collect a variety of samples and conduct appropriate tests in accordance with state and federal regulations and requirements.
- Compile and record complex data and material.
- Maintain accurate and detailed logs and records of work and tests performed.
- Complete emergency response training and perform in emergency situations.
- Respond to emergency situations outside of normal working hours.
- Work well with others in a team environment.
- Complete work within an assigned time frame.
- Perform math calculations related to wastewater treatment processes and related testing and analysis.
- Operate assigned equipment and tools in a safe and effective manner.
- Operate office equipment including computers and applicable software applications.
- Work independently in the absence of supervision.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Follow detailed oral and written instructions.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Experience, Physical Demands, and Work Environment:
- Valid U.S. driver’s license and required insurance.
- Minimum directly-related experience of 2 years.
- Employee must occasionally lift and or move up to 50 pounds.
- Employee will be required to travel between various customer sites and work in lab environment. Employee will be expected to wear appropriate safety gear for each location.
- Employee subject to 24-hour emergency callbacks and standby and requires working varying hours, overtime, weekends, and holidays. Work environment is informal, team-oriented, having both routine and variable tasks with variable pace and pressure.
Cambrian Innovation is a commercial provider of distributed wastewater treatment and resource recovery solutions. Dedicated to solving critical water, wastewater, and energy management challenges for industrial producers, it is the standard for some of the top names in food and beverage processing including: Lagunitas Brewing Company, Bear Republic Brewing Company, and Russian River Brewing Company. Cambrian’s award-winning EcoVolt® product suite offers cost-effective and sustainable options for onsite wastewater treatment, water reuse, and clean energy generation. Through its novel water-energy purchase agreement (WEPA), a financing platform for distributed EcoVolt solutions, Cambrian offers wastewater treatment and resource recovery as a service with no upfront costs.
Cambrian Innovation’s robust research and development group is also commercializing a broader portfolio of environmental productions to help industrial clients efficiently manage their resources. To learn more, visit http://www.cambrianinnovation.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
EEO is the Law Poster: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm
Applicants must be eligible to work in the US without restrictions for any employer at any time. As a condition of employment, all selected candidates will undergo Cambrian Innovation’s standard pre-employment checks, including but not limited to a background check regarding criminal history, driver’s license, education, and employment.
Cambrian Innovation does not accept unsolicited candidate referrals or resumes / CVs from third-party vendors, including recruitment agencies. Cambrian Innovation will not be responsible or liable for any fees or costs associated with such unsolicited submissions.